July 18, 2011

Wild Blueberry Pie

July 18, 2011
When you are baking cakes and pies, don’t wash laundry, even a machineful, at the same time. Once you go to hang the clothes on the lines outside, rest assured, a neighbourhood lonesome will scent you down. Usually she is an elderly lady with a rampant need to share her medical history. By the time she wraps it up by blurting “my death is inevitable”, the laundry will be dry. Your baking, on the other hand, will be nudged out of schedule. It happened to me when making a pie on my husband’s birthday.

Avoid the above especially if you are a food blogger with an obsession of photographing everything that comes out of your kitchen. Whether you are at the age of having hot waves or not, I guarantee, you will drown in sweat. You will make mistakes. You will create an irreversible mess. And your ears will be ringing by repeatedly more impatient inquiries by the door: “when will you be ready”, “how long will it still take”.... Oh, men can be such kids. If you have kids on the top of that, good luck! May the force be with you.


My mistake was that I used wrong flour. I buy organic, freshly milled flour that is packed in white paper bags. All the bags look identical. Because I had no time to read the text, I grabbed cake flour instead of all-purpose. It worked ok, but was difficult to handle because of low viscosity and starch. I recommend regular white flour. It should make pliable dough that is easy to roll.

Because I hate using refined flour (it has become such an insurmountable representative of devil in my mind that I’m wondering whether I’m in a need of therapy) I cut the amount in half by substituting it with rolled oats and full-grain spelt. It was a good choice for a rustic crust with a stronger taste and character. If you want your pie to be delicate and sophisticated, use only white flour and eat it without regret.

Although there are quite a few steps, the pie is easy to make. Dark chocolate and cheese-caramel filling combine perfectly, the first being sharp and the latter soft and sweet. Notice that the filling will turn solid when placed in cold. It makes the pie less moist. It is best served in room temperature with a good dab of whipped cream! Just to be sure it is not too dry!

Fresh blueberries are wonderful. If you can’t get hold on them, you can use jam. Modify the amount of sugar accordingly.

PIE CRUST

2 dl plain flour
1 dl rolled oats
1 dl wholegrain spelt
1 ½ ts salt
350 g butter
1 dl water (about)

I made two pies from the dough. One was shallow and the other deep. I filled the shallow one with caramel, blueberries and whipped cream. It was super-sweet!

Blend the flour and butter in a mixer until well crumbled
Quickly knead water in by hand
You may need less or more water, depending on the flour used
Form a firm ball, wrap it in plastic and place in refrigerator at least for an hour
Roll it out on a floured surface
Cover the bottom and sides of a deep baking dish with it
Prick with a fork here and there
You may need to prick it once more when it is baking, if it expands in the oven
No need for filling the form with beans or any other witch-craft
It won’t collapse, I promise
Bake in 175 C on the bottom level of the oven until it has a beautiful golden colour (it takes about 40 minutes to be ready)


DARK CHOCOLATE "INSULATION"

500 g dark chocolate

Melt the chocolate in a bowl placed on the top of a pot with boiling water
Paint the inside of crust with a pastry brush
Let it cool down and set before filling the pie

FRESH CHEESE

3 litres milk
1 litre cultured buttermilk

Bring milk to boil
Add buttermilk
Collect cheese curd to a sieve or cotton cloth
Press under weight for 10 minutes (not longer!)

Instead of cultured buttermilk you can use yoghurt or lemon to separate curd from whey.


CARAMEL

5 dl heavy cream
250 g muscovado sugar or brown sugar

Bring the cream and sugar into boil
Cook on a medium-low temperature regularly stirring with a spatula, preventing burning
Caramel is ready when the spatula leaves a trail behind when ran across the pan
Add 3 tbs of butter
Mix well

If you are not sure when the caramel is ready, place a drop or two in ice-cold water. When it solidifies and forms a clean ball, it is ready. If it scatters or dissolves, cook some more.

MAKE THE FILLING

Cheese from 3 litres of milk
3 dl caramel
50 g butter
A pinch of vanilla

Place the cheese in a mixer and process until smooth and silky without any graininess
Scrape it out and place in a bowl
Mix with caramel, butter and vanilla
Fill the pie
Add fresh blueberries on the top
Serve with whipped cream


SHARE!

When all is done and said, wash laundry! Hunt down the lonely neighbour lurking by the backyard. Offer her a sumptuous piece of pie, listen, console and give her your jolly company! Let the sugar talk!

41 comments :

  1. May the force be with you? :D I know that one so well. Istart doing something in the kitchen that needs all my concentration and the phone will ring, someone will knock at the door, there will be mail delivered........ !!!

    As usual, I love you pictures. Is your metal cale stand a a plate on an overturned bowl? Beaytiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Aparna, it is like a spell: once you step in the kitchen, there will be thousands of distractions.

    The metal pot is where I keep the laundry pecks :-). Maybe it was a good idea to wash laundry while baking, after all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh God, how many blueberries!!!!!!
    I want to live in your forest!!!!
    Beautiful recipe! Thanks Lakshmi:))

    ReplyDelete
  4. It would be perfect for my snack! congratulations, Hello!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely pictures as always. You must have one pleased as a punch neighbour at the end! Sure she isn't pouring out woes after seeing something cooking?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting recipe Lakshmi. Can I replace the fresh cheese with fresh ricotta or cream cheese?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pick Yin, cream cheese and ricotta are basically same stuff as the cheese made here. When you make it yourself, you get a large quantity very quickly. Home made is always fresh, and fresh is always better :-). But yes, you can replace it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh what a wonderfully original blueberry pie! I never imagined all this goodness was hidden underneath that beautiful pile of wild sugared blueberries. Your husband is one lucky birthday boy! I know exactly what you mean about time running away from you when you have plans to bake. In fact I'm running late on making a cake right now and I don't even have a neighbor to place the blame on ;p.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Laksimi!
    Each single step looks so beautiful!! I am just in love with this cake :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG! How many bluberries!!! And this pie is absolutely a miracle! :) Lovely pictures as usual and the cake is so perfect. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Och and Happy Birthday to your husband. He has to be very patient man. Waith for you to bake the cake and take all those photos? It takes ages when I do it. My husband would never survive it at least not on his birthday.
    Love photos. The one with the cake in it's full glorie is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You got me rolling on the floor! On top of doing the laundry, baking cakes and pies and nodding to the neighbour you just got to consider writing and publishing short stories and not put all that wit and humour to waste! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks delicious, loved the blog AND photography!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Lakshmi. I'm fully aware homemade is better, and much cheaper too. The problem is we don't go through a lot of cheese really because my partner is the only cheese lover in our equation. Thanks for the wonderful recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks so delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Lakshmi, your photos are just enough for me to set aside whatever I am doing and go dig my head in the refrigerator to find what I have available for that recipe :-) SO good! So So good!
    Its always a treat to visit your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy birthday to the other half lakshmi.....this blueberry pie has so many wonderful hidden layers. such a treat as are the pictures! and im loving the makeshift pastry brushes!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sooo good! I can only dream of wild berries, but you know, I can dream! I have read so much about them. One day, I need to try some :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you! You are such kind and encouraging persons!

    Sukhaina, the white brush is actually for pastry. The other one is probably deadly toxic! Nobody needs to know :-) Had I used it for the cake, it would've been my husbands last birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  20. A wild blueberry berry pie! I don't even get the domestic ones here :) Love the clicks, so gorgeous and dreamy.

    ReplyDelete
  21. happy birthday to your husband Lakshmi :) Always enjoy seeing these recipes you create and every time make it look so soft .. like a dream land.

    ReplyDelete
  22. OMG, you take so beautiful photos!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. ohh next time you should just say "shushh for sometime and I can give you a slice of the most awesome blueberry pie" That should take care of it. But yeah, totally get it. Distractions are just waiting for you to step into the kitchen and take you camera out :) Splendid pics as always.

    ReplyDelete
  24. That pie looks so delicious! Your husband is one lucky birthday boy!

    I love your photos, simply stunning, and the caramel and blueberries look so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful!!!!! amazingly beautiful pics girl, the pie looks delicious.... It is a blueberry heaven. Thanks for sharing this one.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh...wow..your photos are beyond beautiful, and this recipe just talks for itself. Stunning post entirely!! Saving this little gem for sure

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a beautiful post! Stunning photography and a charming pie. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh, looks absolutely great! Stunning photography!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow, this must be the most beautiful pie I've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I just found your blog via pinterest and I'm so happy I did! Your recipes look perfect and your photos are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your pictures are beautiful!! And so is the birthday cake- I am sure the hubby felt very lucky and special on his day!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Beautiful photos and drool-worthy pie! Your husband is very lucky :D

    ReplyDelete
  33. The picture with the uncut pie is seriously the best picture I've ever seen. I saw it on your Flickr account last night and thought about it a long while as I was walking to the train stop. And then I thought about it some more and had to visit your site again. The picture just screams Swedish summer (I've lived in Sweden, but never Finland) and everything else that is right with the world. I guess that's a bit silly but it's just amazing and I don't know what else to say.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Erin, summer in Finland & Sweden are similar. Except that it is a tiny bit nicer in Finland :-)!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi Lakshmi I just discovered your blog via Kurma Dasa and was immediately impressed. As a half-Finn who just spent a year and a half living in Finland I was naturally drawn to this pie how wonderful it looks! It is definitely on top of the list to make with my family when we head back for Christmas next month :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thanks, Lisa. Whatever I know about cooking I'm thankful to Kurma. When I got married and started cooking, I spent more time with his books than with my husband :-)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi, Laksmi! Im trying to make this cake. I made a dough exactly as you wrote but in the oven the sided are fall down. could you please check your recipe may be there some mistakes.. I convert dl to g and used 120g whole wheat flour and 120g plane flour. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear, Svetlana! I made this pie three years ago and don't remember details anymore. It seems that I've used rolled oats in the recipe, which you seem to have left out. Usually butter and sugar makes dough to expand (or collapse) in the oven. There is no sugar in this recipe. I would think if you omit oats (which absorb a lot of fat and liquid), you should perhaps use less butter: for every 1 Cup (250 ml) flour, use about max 80 - 100 g butter. Also, use only as little water/cream/any liquid as necessary to hold the dough together. It shouldn't be wet!

      It looks like the recipe makes two pie crusts.

      Sorry I can't help you more.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for answer, I rolled dough about 3mm thick and I left with just 1/3 of dough left. It would be a very tiny gallette :) You know caramel didn't go either... and filling was too liquid to hold in place... maybe it was not my day for baking... Anyway, I used you idea and made another high crust(which was not so high as I expected it fall either but not too much) and I add a lot of caramel to hold ricotta filling. And that crust we ate with caramel, wipped cream and berries
      Thanks anyway for beautiful and breathtaking inspiration! Your pictures are so wonderful!

      Delete
    3. Oh, I'm so sorry! There is also a blind baking method which I forgot to mention. You line the crust with baking paper and fill it with beans before placing it into the oven. It keeps the crust from rising or collapsing.

      Delete
  38. FoodGeekGrazeMay 30, 2015

    unique and lovely ~

    ReplyDelete