September 23, 2011

Mild Pumpkin Soup

September 23, 2011

Pardon my prolonged absence from the blogsphere. The season changed and I got carried away with new adventures in the fresh air and torrents of rain. I have never welcomed autumn as wholeheartedly as this year. I’m pushed to take long morning walks when it is still dark. There is a cool but soft breeze and a strong aroma of decomposing soil. It is comforting and surprisingly energizing.

There is a promise I cannot keep this time. I will introduce Kurma Dasa in the next post. The text is already written but I didn’t photograph for seven weeks, thus there are no pictures yet. Hopefully you aren’t too disappointed. He is worth waiting for, trust me. The recipes will be sweet and exciting.

Since it is a harvest time, I would like to share a pumpkin soup recipe with you. It is made with warm spices: cinnamon, cardamom and cloves.


PUMPKIN SOUP

Half of a large pumpkin (about 2 liters in cubes)
Ghee/oil
Grated ginger (about 2 tbs, juice squeezed out)
Indian bay leaf
A good pinch of hing
A good pinch of black pepper or cayenne
1 short stick of cinnamon
3 cloves
3 whole green cardamoms
A pinch of turmeric
Salt to taste
Water (as much as it takes to barely cover the veggies)
Coconut milk (about 500 ml)
Ginger juice
Herbs for garnish if you like

Heat up ghee, sauté ginger and bay. (Remember to squeeze out and save the ginger juice for a later use).
Add hing, black pepper, cinnamon, cloves and cardamom and sauté for a short moment.
Add the pumpkin cubes, turmeric, salt and water.
Let it simmer until the pumpkin is soft.
Pick out the whole spices (bay, cinnamon, cloves and cardamom).
Mash the pumpkin with a mixer until smooth and silky.
Add coconut milk and bring it quickly to boil.
Remove from the stove and add the left over ginger juice.
Garnish with fresh herbs. 

29 comments :

  1. Lovely! I enjoy your garden shots as much as the food ones.
    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laksmi, Iąm glad you are back. Photo of soup is very good. I can not stop looking at it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to see a new post form you! Your photos are an inspiration and I missed them so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love pumpkin and every kind of food from it. You took beautiful photos again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. lakshmi, you sure were missed,love the soup recipe pics as usual are stunning

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you are back, with stunning photos! Thanks :)

    Http://kirantarun.com/food

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hare Krishna Lakshmi!!! The soup does look mild and very comforting. Loved all the photographs. You are having Kurma dasa on your blog?? I am a big fan of his cooking. I have about of his books in my collection. Can't wait for the next post :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Lakshmi, glad to see you again!
    The pictures are so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds delicious. Pumpkin+ spices seem perfect for fall.
    It is good to have you back, Laksmi.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous photos Laksmi...
    Spicy pumpkin soup sounds so comforting in cool Autumn afternoons :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. i bump into your beautiful blog through TS, as we love pumpkin so this recipe i find unique and worth to try. BTW i love the photographs too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've just seen your Flickr photostream, it's stunning, I love your picture and the mood out of them !

    ReplyDelete
  13. So lovely to have you back!! I totally understand absences now and then. Beautiful autumn images, Lakshmi! xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Autumn is all about beautiful sites and of course hearty dishes...I am looking forward for your Kurma Dasa.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Autumn is all about beautiful sights and of course hearty dishes...I am looking forward for your Kurma Dasa.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful post, and that soup looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  17. We missed you Laksmi. Glad to see your wondeful photos again. I hope summer treated you well.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello Lakshmi,
    welcome back with your wonderful recipes and photos! I love pumpkin and I often do soups and more. I will try your own:)) Thanks for the recipe.
    Oxana

    ReplyDelete
  19. Missed you Lakshmi. So good to see you back with your inspirational photographs ad recipe.Love the touch of Hing and Ginger in the temper. they work so well together.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous clicks and soup! Your blog is amazing.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for stopping by Rosa and everyone. I'm sure you'd like the soup if you tried it. It is soft and mild.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh goodness, Lakshmi, I'm blow away by your work. Totally. Such beauty, and oh so genuine and original. I spend hours on your flickr account, charmed by your images and words. You are a true artist in every sense. And I'm so glad to meet you, albiet virtually!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Dear Nashira, thank you for your kind comments and encouragement. I couldn't find your e-mail address on your site to reach you in a more personal manner. I hope you don't mind me adding your site to the resources page here.

    Regarding the beet leaves you mentioned elsewhere, the young ones are the best. You can use them exactly like spinach. Tasty stuff!

    Regarding photography, follow your nature - and live in harmony with it - and you will be successful in whatever you are doing. Success doesn't necessarily reflect on popularity or how much attention we draw to our work - they are insignificant side-effects - but how we are present and particapate in the process ourselves. The moment of photographing is more important than the result, because your awareness is invested in it. By thinking you are limited, you limit yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ahh, I'm so flattered. Seriously! It'd be a great pleasure to be listed here! You can reach me at nashirausef@gmail.com

    And thanks for the motivation, I sure need that. To be honest, the best part of my blogging experience, so far, is the photography bit. I'm obsessed with styling and photographing food. Only wish I had better gear (at least a D-SLR camera) and some good vintage props, sigh. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Delicious pumpkin soup! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This was absolutely lovely, really thick and creamy. It was well received by all and everyone went back for more. Would definately make again. Tasted even better the day after making.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Totally Scrummy Pumpkin Soup, we often have this my other half will make it on occasion ,
    going to give your recipe a go.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Delicious! Just love Pumpkin Soup. The photo's are fab too!

    ReplyDelete
  29. mmm.....will try this in coming weekend.

    ReplyDelete