May 21, 2012

An Ode To The Mother Earth

May 21, 2012
The mother’s day arrived and left a week ago. I missed the opportunity to post a tribute to my favourite mothers in time. The emblem of motherhood is personified in the mother who gives birth to us, the wife of a teacher, the wife of a holy person or a priest, queen, cow, nurse and earth. In a civilized society they are always respected and protected. Unfortunately we have reduced the list to barely include the person who parents us.
1cake2cake
In Bhagavata Purana, spoken by the sages in the Naimisha forest thousands of years ago, there is a narration of the mother earth at the dawn of the current cycle of time, Kali-yuga. She describes how the pillars of human culture – austerity, purity, compassion and truthfulness – are being trampled by the increase of pride, lust, violence and falsehood.
5herb6herb
We have conveniently distanced ourselves from and impersonalized the mother earth in order to pursue our desire to gain her abundance without responsibility. In any other relationship such cold-blooded abuse would be regretted. Nature is not dead matter. It is living energy. The consciousness of a plant or an animal may not be as developed as ours, but it doesn’t justify our tyranny. To have more tools means – to an intelligent person – to use them for a greater benefit. By mistreating the mother earth we don’t only cause pain but break the hand that feeds us. Despite of our financial prosperity and keen abilities of technology, we won’t be able to replicate her when she loses immunity to our drilling of oil, cutting down forests, polluting water resources, pumping the soil with chemicals and slaughtering animals. To lose a mother for greed and ignorance is embarrassing.
7herb8herb
Any improvement begins with a change of consciousness. We can upgrade our situation, plans, skills and endeavours unlimitedly, but without the change of attitude or focus it won’t lead to a desired result. In order to regain respect and love for nature, we must understand who we are ourselves, what everything else is and what our relationships are. What is sustaining everything? A harmonic relationship with environment begins with willingness to reconsider our false supremacy over it.
9herb10herb
The recipe of the sandwich cake is an ode to the mother earth. Thank you for showing me the trees are the hairs, the rivers are the veins and the air is the breath of the universal form. You dress by unwrapping the darkness of night into the mist of morning. You are an advocate of peacefulness, tolerance and humility. You manifest the qualities of higher intelligence behind the creation, maintenance and destruction. I am your servant.
3cake4cake
Goat weed, wild chervil, nettle, dandelion and wood sorrel are among the favourite edible gifts of green from the wild garden and forest. They can be used as such in a salad, smoothie and pesto. Another way of serving them is like spinach.
11cake12cake
Thank you.

35 comments :

  1. Quite a serious post, true every word, ... only if we would care. I can sniff the green through your words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lakshmi you have left me speechless with this post. I think the adjectives like beautiful, and lovely would be an understatement. All I can say is Thank you for this thought provoking post :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lakshmi, love your post. Mother Earth has to be the most giving mother yet the one from whom we continually take and take but treat so badly and give her very little thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. excellent post lakshmi. it can be difficult to express these issues, but you have done it so beautifully and gracefully.

    a lovely cake too with as always beautiful pics.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful post and ode to the one and only Mother Earth! Great words...

    This cake looks just divine, refined and so fresh. Wonderful!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! This cake so celebrates the goodness we accept from Mother Earth - I think she'd be proud.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lyrical ode to Mother's Day. A most inspiring post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your posts are always filled with gorgeousness! Love your blog Lakshmi! And this cake looks fabulous :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow,,,beautiful post,..:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. lovely and beautiful. such an important reminder. thanks for sharing.
    ~deirdre

    ReplyDelete
  11. The most inspiring Mother's Day post I have read to date.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Simply ethereal :)

    Everyday is a celebration of Mother's Day, so you are never late in posting :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Deep, delicate and so true ode... to the first Mother at all. Thanks for reminding us.
    I love the 'illusion' of the sweet cake, I can almost smell the perfumes. A great and creative recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this cake. Is a marvelous combination of flavours and colours. I will try to do it some day... and to honour our mother earth!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Laksmi I can not decide what I like better: your narrations, your photography or your cooking. Beautiful post, soooo pure.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely post and inspiring !

    there is something about your posts ,they give a feeling of peaceful ,calm ,i don't know how to explain but gives a serene feel

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your true, from the heart ode to mother earth is very touching, inspiring and thought provoking Lakshmi..

    And the magnificent looking cake, seems like a symbolic of Mother Earth's austerity, purity, compassion and truthfulness all in one, as you've mentioned..

    She's the greatest mother, yet we realize so less and leave so little to harm her..

    ReplyDelete
  18. Purity! Every time I step in here, I learn to see something new or rather you arouse the dormant. How true,every single word. And what a delicate, marvelous looking ode/tribute to the nature.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very well said!!!
    Mother Nature is the most selfless and giving mother... And I dont know why we human cannot understand this little thing..
    I hope one day we all can see beyond us and it is not too late before that happens.
    Gorgeous Cake!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. There is a certain serenity I find in your words, in your pictures which is very beautiful and soothing at the same time. :-) Lovely ode to mother nature.

    Siri

    ReplyDelete
  21. The most meaningful Mothers day post I have read! Thanks for sharing.
    No words to explain the beauty of the cake...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lakshmi,not often do I read something so important and truthful. Thank you as always. The cake is beautiful, I so want to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I find inspiration in your verses...The white color brings your message of sincerity and hope. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I completely agree with your words, and so eloquent and poetic are they. Thanks for a much needed reminder of the "mother" to to us all. Everything about this post is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very nice! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lakshmi, you are such an inspiration...
    Greetings from Serbia!

    ReplyDelete
  27. That looks beyond delicious!

    Nettle is such a great ingredient. It can be used in so many different ways (from tea to spinach kind of usage). And it's healthy, I've been told.

    When I was a kid I used to eat wood sorrel from the forrest all the time. Yeah, I'm from countryside and springtime our forrest was filled with those white flowers. Also I would munch away dock leaves (not sure of the translation, but I'm talking about suolaheinä) all the time. Yes, I ate lots of stuff outside. :D

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am so happy to have found your blog. We are similar in our views, and while I am vegan your recipes are quite inspirational-- I look forward to reading more of your posts and feasting o your beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks everyone for visiting!

    Mervi - Suolaheinä is one of my favorites too. It's great in salads.

    The vegan version - I'm glad you find the recipes adaptable. That's my point: to offer ideas that can be modified according to one's needs.

    ReplyDelete
  30. what kind of camera do you use? i love your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Jess - I'm using an uncooperative Canon 40 D with 50mm f/1.4 lens :-). The camera has a mind of its own and often refuses to follow my commands. I dropped it a couple of years ago and although it was fixed, something changed. Maybe the accident caused deep psychological wounds that the camera mechanics weren't able to cure :-)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I like ur post very much, it`s very realistic cauz there is nothing so much important but our mothers, our home and or health. i will cook the cake like that, but I won`t manage to do it so nice-looking like urs.

    ReplyDelete
  33. AnonymousMay 11, 2015

    To The Vegan Version up above- I'd love to see this one veganised- I came across it when I was still a vegetarian a few years ago and was intimidated by some of the ingredients... now I'd love to make it but am animal product free!

    Lakshmi, this post is continuously inspirational. It was so unusual and beautiful to see a cake made into something both savory and earthy... I've shown everyone I know this post over the years! Your words are so poetic, humble, and insightful. Thankyou for sharing and being so present and creative

    ReplyDelete
  34. FoodGeekGrazeJune 01, 2015

    the photo above of the ring of sorrel... poetry ♥

    ReplyDelete
  35. FoodGeekGrazeJune 01, 2015

    oops... i was so very taken by the sorrel photo, i forgot to finish typing about your sandwich share... this is surely the most elegant example of a smorgastarta i have ever seen. the simple beautiful style of the construct not only honors the message you share with us about mother nature, but clearly reflects your own personal spirit so very well. i am swimming in happy over it, lakshmi. cheers~

    ReplyDelete