June 10, 2012

Stuffed Blackcurrant leaves

June 10, 2012
1Dolmades2Dolmades
Your comments on the previous post about developing the blog content are appreciated! I’m contemplating ways to satisfy your interest. There is, however, an obstacle I bump into all the time: to talk about myself is hard. It is a matter of identity.
3Dolmades4Dolmades
Blogging and photographing are activities I do, not who I am. I’m doing them out of necessity at the moment. I was pushed by the cycle of life, some years ago, into an emotional rollercoaster called perimenopause. Overnight, figuratively speaking, I watched the youthful energy whistling out of my physical and mental body like a pillar of steam from a kettle. Bygone was the socially interactive and driven lifestyle. I had spent the adult years in counselling, helping and teaching others but became, suddenly, deaf to anyone’s needs. I was too tired to listen.

Everyone has to do something, no matter the situation. I bought a camera and started to photograph. It found a comfortable spot in my isolation and, quickly, became a small window through which I could associate with the world again.
5Dolmades6Dolmades
Photographing is a facility. I define myself in other terms than an artist or photographer. I am a spirit soul – a sparkle of eternity, knowledge and bliss – on an unending journey wearing a dress of a middle aged woman at the moment. Camera is an accessory that came along the new, age-appropriate wardrobe.
7a-Dolmades7b-Dolmades7c-Dolmades
I’m encouraged but cautious about the attention the pictures are receiving. The way I see it, I’m not the only factor that carries out the activities I call mine. In fact, the power of spirit lies in desiring only. The rest of doing is executed by nature and sanctioned by God. How could I take credit for something I’m such a small part of?
8Dolmades9Dolmades
Art history may be a sequence of virtuosity but, foremost, it is an account of mentality. As we understand it today, art is, undoubtedly, an ego-based field. It has converted from a transcendental revelation to an expression of a personal feeling, message or mood. A modern man calls it progress. From the standpoint of broadmindedness, the observation angle of an artist has shrunk narrower than ever in the chronicle of mankind. The sense of control that comes from producing a visually, literally or musically impressive piece is blinding. It is common for an artist to identify with the work done.
10Dolmades11Dolmades
As a contrast to the heavily designated and stagnant idea of an artist being the source of creativity, I was delighted to hear Elizabeth Gilbert’s talk in 2009 TED. You can listen to it here. The author of Eat, Pray, Love reminds of the pre-renaissance view of an artist “having” (a) genius, instead of “being” one.

To illustrate the point, Ms Gilbert narrates a humorous story of a poem chasing a poet. If the poet isn’t ready to write the poem when it arrives, the poem proceeds to look for another poet! What a lovely, albeit, unpopular way to acknowledge the creative process! Think about it: if we were able to see the creative energy manifesting in and around us, as something none of us owned but had been blessed with, it would set us free from the lower qualities like fear, anxiety, envy and pride. They are side-effects of our inability to recognize greater universal forces. In other words, seeing beyond ourselves!

12Dolmades13Dolmades
The reluctance to talk about myself or, even what I do, comes from the uneasiness of limiting myself into a designation, be that of an artist, photographer, blogger, woman, married, European, slightly overweight or parallel to a financial, social or educational status. They are all external coverings that have temporarily taken forms to correspond with the qualities I have been or I am attracted to. How much can we dwell on someone’s clothes? The epidemic of our time is that we have to constantly reinvent and enhance our self-image in order to remain on the pulse of fashion and acceptance. Not seeing beyond the senses, mind, intelligence and the immediate environment is our tragedy.
14Dolmades15Dolmades
Now I’ve spoken myself into a corner and wonder how in the earth I’m going to connect today’s recipe to everything said. I would welcome the creative spirit to visit, but it is busy illuminating another blogger right now! Therefore I’m ending the post by thanking the muse of June for filling blackcurrant bushes with fragrant leaves that give a fresh Scandinavian touch to an old dolma recipe of the former Ottoman Empire, Middle East and Mediterranean region. Serve with a refreshing summer salad!

Thank you.

30 comments :

  1. I cannot keep away from your space Lakshmi. I said I won't visit but I hopped in right away and reading and re reading this beautiful post. Now I feel all these beautiful words, feeling and expressions should be bound into a book which will allow us to cozy up at a corner and soak in every word of it. Think about it:D

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post. Lovely pictures as well as the recipe. I never knew that these leaves are edible. Thanks.

    p.s. Lakshmi, I agree with Soma :) Think about writing a book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really really enjoyed reading this post. It comes from a very truthful place and it's so moving to read. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely Laksmi......similar to stuffed vine leaves....kind of!! Not everyone is comfortable with putting their personal lives on the blogosphere. If that is not you, then don't feel you have to! We will be just as satistied with your superb recipes and photograohs ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A wonderful post! It is always difficult to speak about oneself. I never share my whole life on the net, only parts...

    Those stuffed vine leaves look amazing!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  7. your photos and writing is so beautiful! i made another variation of this, with chickpeas added. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a delicious looking! It's make me so hungry! I can't wait to eat this :)
    please Lakshmi, send me some food to may email :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, everyone. Nice to see you here!

    Anh - chickpeas sound great!

    Weber Grill Recipes - oh, if it was so easy, I would :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. AnonymousJune 11, 2012

    Chris from California says: You have exquisite posts!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This recipe reminds me of something similar that Mom makes. She uses 'kumro pata' pumpkin leaves stuffed it with different things, veg and sometimes non veg.
    You always share your stories so beautifully, that I always land up coming back again and again :)I also read your interview in Radhika's blog, very inspiring!
    And oh! I definitely agree with Soma :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. If you were ever to write a book I'd want it on my nearest bookshelf,to pick up and read often.

    Lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Funny how freeing it is. Just the sound of letting go of ego identification with artistic creation. It gives the space for stillness and and connection to what is asking to move through us. I kept thinking while reading your post, " She should really recognize her participation in the process" as no one else sees the way you specifically do. They would click the shutter speed at a different pace or time... yet it is beautiful, your connection to spirit. Thank You as always for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tiffany, for your thoughtful response. We are inevitably a part of the process and can/should see our involvement in it, but, at the same time, let go of thinking that we are the only factor and thus entitled to take credit for something that is not due.

      Delete
  14. Goodness.

    First, I found this blog by accident, and what a happy accident it is!

    I very much admire your viewpoints on not blogging about yourself - I believe you must be a deep-thinker and a poet but to not describe yourself as such makes your writing even more interesting to me.

    It makes for lovely reading. I greatly enjoy your blog, and I also think you should consider writing a book.

    But do what makes your Spirit soar. :o)

    A new fan~

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  15. PS:

    MARVELOUS looking food! I am actually drooling...

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Lakshmi,
    I have been among one of your silent visitors, I love your space and the simplicity that shows in your living and cooking both. Thank you for sharing some wonderful insights to life as well along with your recipes. I adore your site and cannot keep away from your space,feel so much to learn out here :).

    ReplyDelete
  17. Merhaba, özel günlerimizin ve davet sofralarımızın vazgeçilmezi "yaprak sarması" çok güzel görünüyor, ellerinize sağlık :) Arkasından baklava yemenizi tavsiye ederiz :)
    İyi günler...

    Hello, indispensable to our tables and invite special days, that "grape leaves" looks very good, hands, health. Afterwards, we recommend you to eat baklava :))
    Have a nice day...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, baklava for dessert! I haven't done it for a long time. Thanks for reminding.

      Delete
  18. I really enjoyed reading your post...great photography...great recipe too:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. You post really touched me

    ReplyDelete
  20. My Grandma fills the leaves with a mix of spring onions, mint, parsley and rice. Very healthy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  21. My Grandma fills the leaves with a mix of spring onions, mint, parsley and rice. Very healthy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  22. chard and cabbage dolma : http://www.annekaz.com/2011/12/lahana-pazi-ve-anne-kardes-sarmasi/
    GRAPE LEAVES: http://www.annekaz.com/2007/12/bayrama-sarma/
    and collard greens dolmas hmmm delicious

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just listened to the TED talk...........thank you Lakshmi!!!
    As for your photographs and writing......sigh oh sigh...just stunning!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet Madhu,so glad to see you here. I hope you are well. Isn't the talk inspiring!

      Delete
  24. FoodGeekGrazeMay 31, 2015

    always meaning to come back and check out all i had missed over the years of not knowing of your blog... yesterday found me and brought me to you to begin this walk backwards in time. my spirit had been very, very sad heavy all day, but within minutes of beginning my lakshmi project... seriously... within just a few minutes... i felt light, steady, calm, and quite peaceful. i knew it was your energy that steadied my own. i wanted to immediately say, "thank you", but my heart said to wait. this post brings me an understanding of just why i felt so prompted. your personal thoughtful beautiful words above serve to deepen and confirm my understanding that this place is but a conduit to touching other spirits. may it be the extraordinary way you and the camera and all that leads you to such a moment make still a breath in time. may it be the delicious scents in our kitchens from your recipes and the happy thoughts from our hearts upon sitting down to share bowls. may it be the space you need or find from becoming one with such activities. may it be what happened to me yesterday. clearly, it is your identity that is being shared with us in a package that is beyond words and type. is that not what art is supposed to be? thank you for blessing me, lakshmi. i am humbled. i am thankful. God is great.

    ReplyDelete