September 9, 2012

Apple Marmalade Candy

September 9, 2012
6Marmalade7Marmalade
When Henry VIII of England received a box of marmalade from Mr Hull of Exeter in 1524, it likely contained Portuguese quince paste, marmelada. In the 17th century, when the citrus became plentiful in England, the definition of marmalade was restricted to a preserve made of citrus juice and peel. In other languages, however, marmalade may still refer to what is known as jam in British and Commonwealth English. Jam can be made of any fruit or berry. Or, even, a vegetable.
1Marmalade
A step further from a spreadable marmalade is Pâte de Fruit, a sophisticated French confection made with precision and care. The soft but resistant texture comes from a perfect amount of pectin. We are talking about the sweet our elderly relatives never fail to serve! My grandmother used to display a glass stand of expired design full of them as a centrepiece of every prominent tablesetting. The modern shortcut of Pâte de Fruit is settled with gelatine, agar-agar, citric acid, corn syrup and who knows what.
8Marmalade9Marmalade
My recipe today takes you even a step further from Pâte de Fruit, to the point the mass of fruits and sugar can’t be cooked a second longer. It is inspired by Indian fruit halwa. The cooking method begins with a meeting of lightly browning butter and sliced apples in a pot. The character of fat plays a secondary role until sugar is added. The combination of butter and sugar will gradually caramelize and change the intensity of taste and texture.
2Marmalade3Marmalade
The final product is chewy and dense. There are subtle threads of caramel. It’s not melt-in-the-mouth, smooth Pâte de Fruit, but something that calls for serious biting. It is a fruit paste taken to an extreme. There is a balance of fruity tartness and sweetness. The taste of apples is concentrated, but rounded by butter and sugar.
4Marmalade5Marmalade
It is up to you to what extent to cook the fruits. As soon as the mass pulls together, it can be removed from the heat, placed on a plate, cooled down and cut into pieces. A shorter cooking time gives a softer paste.
10Marmalade11Marmalade
Any fruits can be used instead of apples. I’ve made it with pears, nectarines, peaches and plums, or a mixture of them, in the past. Additional spices – citrus zest and juice, ginger, vanilla and so on – can be used. Nuts, raisins or other dry fruits may be added. Whatever way offered, be assured, the recipient most heartily thanketh her Ladyship for her marmalade!
Thank you.

34 comments :

  1. This is magical..have been longing to make my own Pâte de Fruit, but was a little wary of using gelatin. This recipe is so simple..no gelatin no agar...simply awesome, have to try it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katrina - the powder sugar makes juices flow, doesn't it! It's gives a creative platform for styling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sanjeeta - no need for gelatine or agar-agar. Especially apples and pears cook down well without any gelling agent. I've made marmalade with agar-agar but don't like it. The texture becomes too soft and unambiguous to my taste. I like when the marmalade is a bit tough in the mouth, almost like toffee but made of fruits.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely! I've made something like this before - all simple and natural like yours - but my cubes weren't quite as cleanly cut and perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look beautiful. I've never made anything like this but I would love to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is something I really like, especially when it's made with quinces or apples Your candy and pictures look amazing!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow!! This looks amazing Lovely photography and a wonderful write up. I enjoyed the post thoroughly!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely love it without the artificial jelling agent.. everything looks pure here :) Love the pictures Lakshmi. Lovely write up and beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look beautiful, like Turkish Delight....but sound so intriguing~

    Wonderful photos, as always.

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perfection!!!
    The recipe sounds pretty similar to Guava Halwa made at my grand mom home... It is little tough n chewy kind of toffee like...
    I have to try this, my kids will love it.
    Just a quick question Lakshmi, how long can I store it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks! These puppies are all natural.

    Reem - If you don't cook it as long as I did, it will be exactly like any fruit halwa. It will store pretty well in the refrigerator, maybe a week and a half. Theoretically speaking there is nothing that will get spoiled, (it is preserved in sugar :-) but as a principle, it is not good to eat “old” food.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG! Is it Christmas yet or what? Lovely recipe like always Lakshmi :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Grishma - every day is Christmas :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Laksmi,
    this sounds and looks so much "your way". Cooking something down for hours:-))) I would love to taste it but I'm to lazy to try it. Would you send me some?? Please!!
    Beautiful photography and styling.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great idea for Xmas presents, popped in a lovely container.

    ReplyDelete
  16. And I thanketh thee for this divine post. I am just scrolling up and down and even that fuzzy white indistinct image is beautiful.I have made plenty of jams and preserves and never used pectin or any g(j)elling agent, it works just fine as the tart in the fruit takes care of it. I have made Pâte de Fruit and had used part store bought jam; so i suppose that had pectic and I have squared out halwa. But who would have thought of something like this but you. I adore you :) i love the chewy so much more than melt in the mouth and the powdered sugar coated over them reminds me of the turkish delights. The photographs are giving a strange sensation! Peace. I want to visit you. Lakshmi am I going insane?

    PS: Thanks for that word "Surrender" .. yes that was what it was. and I am glad I did to the pie.:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. How beautiful is this! What we call as Halva is pretty similar to this. I have made banana and guava halva before and banana doesn't even require any sugar if the fruits are sweet enough. Of course dusting with sugar makes it extra pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful and so delicious and I LOVE you didn't use a gelling agent - almost like lakhoum/Turkish Delight - one of my faves. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cintamani – I may send you some when my husband comes to Warsaw next time. It really takes only about an hour to make the sweet. If you use only 10 apples it will take even shorter.

    Suzanne – you are right! I didn’t think about it but it would make a cute Christmas gift.

    Soma – you are going nuts in a sweet way! It’s hardly pathological. Some berries and fruits have plenty of inbuilt pectin. Cherries, grapes and strawberries, on the other hand, contain less. I often use sugar that contains pectin when making a quick jam. But I never use gelatine because it is a different animal, literarily, having been made of the intestines of calves. Agar-agar, which is seaweed, is suitable for vegetarians but the taste is not flattering. I’ve seen it used successfully but, personally, I’ve failed with it repeatedly.

    Chinmayie – I would love to taste guava halva!

    Patricia – it is similar to loukoumi, too! It seems there is version of marmalade in every culture.

    ReplyDelete
  20. My mom used to make guava candies, quite like this delectable apple gorgeousness.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That sounds darn tasty. I find many pâtes des fruits a little too sweet, but made with green apples, this sounds like it would have a nice balance.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm becoming very curious about guava halva!

    Diane - This recipe is not overly sweet, even with powder sugar added. The quality of apples determines how tangy the paste is. I used apples from my grandparents' garden, and they make me grin when eaten raw, just like green apples.

    ReplyDelete
  23. the icing sugar is needless here :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Kuchnia z Jajem - maybe you are right. It doesn't add nutritional value but it was fun to play with :).

    ReplyDelete
  25. Delicious and beautiful recipe, Lakshmi. Perfect for the holidays!

    ps: Your styling is OUT OF THIS WORLD :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a delicious looking recipe! how much does it make?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say it makes about a double of the amount you see on the first right picture on the top. I cut the pieces thick and fat, but you can strech the amount by cutting smaller cubes.

      Delete
  27. I've never had this but it sounds really interesting! And I bet that powdered sugar was fun to play with. :) Good job on the lack of scary ingredients. This sounds like a fun project. Can't wait to go apple picking this year!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh, you still have the apple season ahead? We are already having frost at night: the winter in coming, inevitably!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your idea sounds great and the pics are awesome. However, your recipe is too subjective and would be better if you gave some exact temps that should be reached. I made this today, thought I was following your descriptions, even used a timer, but ended up with apple brittle I had to bash with a rolling pin to break up into hard candy size!! I guess my idea of "a mass" and yours differed a bit. A disappointing result for an hour of stirring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear the recipe didn't work out. It sounds like you cooked the apples longer than needed. My apologies for having written unclear instructions.

      Delete