October 25, 2012

Pumpkin & Rosemary Soup

October 25, 2012
1Pumpkinsoup2Pumpkinsoup
When we moved to Finland with my husband, it was May 2000. Patches of snow still lined a few shadow corners of Helsinki but winter was well underway towards the south of equator. However, a country of which one third rests above the Arctic Circle never really wakes up from the polar night. Even in the summer the northern wind is just snoozing, as if recharging. The presence of the Arctic Ocean is coded in every breeze. At any time, it may descend as an avalanche of icicles piercing the layers of clothes, skin, fat and bones. Nothing escapes from such coldness. The day we moved here it showed the last breath of power in the face of summer and around October, every year, it claims back the authority. Today it arrived with a message of winter. It won’t be long there is snow.
3Pumpkinsoup4Pumpkinsoup
Soup is a weapon against chill and darkness. There isn’t a better ammunition than pumpkin, the offspring of autumnal colours, combined with rosemary that has an aroma of burning wood.
5Pumpkinsoup6Pumpkinsoup
The appetite will be satisfied by paneer that extracts the humour of each ingredient in the soup causing the goodness of milk to burst in the mouth like a soft fountain of flavours. To add texture, garnish with a handful of oven roasted parsnip chips.
7Pumpkinsoup8Pumpkinsoup
Thank you.

26 comments :

  1. This soup is so pretty!! I absolutely love this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A comforting and warming soup! Very original too.

    cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it okay that I reduce the amount of hing to 1 ts, not 1 Ts? I can't bear that strong scent..apart from that, this recipe sounds like something I would try in 2 weeks from now! wish me good luck. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1 Ts is one teaspoon! Tbsp is a tablespoon. You are right, one Tbsp would be too much.

      Delete
  4. I like how you used whey in the recipe..makes it more nutritious! Soups are hard to photograph for me...and you make it look like a child's play :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love soup!! I have to try this love anything pumpkin!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...What a treat to the eyes as well as to the tummy ....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hing and rosemary together - how absolutely ingenious! I can almost taste the combination. I marvel at your ability to effortlessly mingle the flavours of the east and the west.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes a tradition, or the way we are used to eat and cook, can be restricting. In cooking, there are principles and details. In every cuisine, new or old, the details may differ. However, they are there to serve the principle: an idea, procedure or value. If we understand the essence of given ingredients and how they interact with each others in order to create a desired impact, we are much closer to the heart of cooking. Also, we have to remember that taste, as a sense, is subjective and depends on our conditioning as human beings. One man’s food is another one’s poison.

      Because I don’t have a background in a particular kitchen, I’m free to travel anywhere in the map of aromas. However, like all sorts of tourism, it has to be done with class and respect.

      Delete
  8. Where is the recipe, please? I can only find the photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will find the recipe by clicking the last image that says: Print & read the recipe.

      Delete
  9. Pumpkin soup is an all time favourite despite the fact I don't particularly like pumpkins. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry I've fallen off the face of the internet, but this is really stunning dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to hear from you, Xiaolu! Yes, your absence has been noted. I hope you are well.

      Delete
  11. This looks fantastic. You always awe me with your photographs. And this soup is so perfect for this season.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was as if I almost knew you would have something pumpkin in this recent post and this was right after I read the last one! Lakshmi now I am myself confused if I had a dream about it or I was thinking of it. Showing lot of signs of late of going insane!! all things beautiful here. Love the paneer and of course the hing:) I don't think I ever cooked (not in a soup) pumpkin without hing. So lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soma, we obviously have started to orbit around the same thought processes :-). However, there is one difference. You have never cooked pumpkin without hing, but I never cook anything without it! Taking about going insane. An addict.

      Delete
  13. This looks so comforting and warm. For sure fits perfectly the dark and cold season in Finland. I was so happy to find your blog - it is full of lovely inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hei Tiina, minäkin piipahdin yksi päivä blogissasi! Mukava tavata.

      Delete
  14. You're killing me with all this great food!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my, I am not sure what I've fallen more in love with: your photography, your vegetarian recipes or your blog! Am definitely following! :)

    Be well :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Divinely comforting. I could go for bowls and days to come, with this recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is such a comforting soup. Your pictures are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. FoodGeekGrazeMay 31, 2015

    again... the construct is kind of amazing. you are a rock star, lakshmi :-)

    ReplyDelete