December 7, 2012

It’s Christmas Time!

December 7, 2012
0Xmas
For someone who doesn’t observe Christmas, the holiday season means another year will come to an end. Like in 2011, I will take a break from blogging until February. It is the darkest period with a few hours decent daylight, which makes photographing impractical. Instead, I will concentrate on recipe developing and, hopefully, come back with a renewed enthusiasm next year.
6Xmas2Xmas
I would like to thank you for visiting the blog, engaging in conversation via comments and exchanging private letters with me. I appreciate your feedback, and value your encouragement and well-wishes. Although I am a new blogger who is still defining an angle, you have been patient and understanding. I hope, I haven been able to offer something useful to you, too. With these traditional Finnish recipes, I wish you a warm and peaceful Christmas and a happy new year!
3Xmas4Xmas
Let’s start with joulutorttu (Christmas pastry) that is a palm-size puff-pastry, shaped as a star, flower or half moon. There is usually prune-jam in the middle, but any other preserve that tolerates baking will do, too. For the dough, I’ve used butter, flour and cream. Remember to keep it as cold as possible when rolling out the pastries! If warm, it will be impossible to handle.
1Xmas16Xmas
As for the instructions of how to shape the pastry as small flowers, please pardon, both, my visual and written aids! Unfortunately I lacked skills in making either of them clear. I guarantee, though, they are easier to make than it looks like. When you come to the point of having many small squares with slits cut on the edges and jam in the centre, you’ll be able to figure out how to fold them properly! Hopefully these instructions will assist.
7Xmas
There isn’t a household in this country that doesn’t serve mulled wine, glögi, during the winter holidays. My non-alcohol version is based on black-currant juice and boosted with orange, lemon, lime, fresh ginger and warming spices. It is just the right thing to enjoy when coming home from a snow storm!
10Xmas13Xmas
I have already made three batches of piparkakku, gingerbread. I love the combination of ginger, cinnamon and cloves. Sometimes the cookies are made thick and chewy, sometimes thin and crisp. Usually decorated with a mixture of lemon juice and powder sugar, they are as beautiful to look at as to be eaten. I piped mine with white chocolate which is easier but not the best idea considering that chocolate remains soft in room temperature.
11Xmas9Xmas
I have found that the tastiest gingerbread cookies are made of finely milled wholegrain spelt. I wouldn’t use flour that has a volume of bran, though. All-purpose flour is commonly used.
8Xmas12Xmas
Here is a simple layout for those of you who would like to make a gingerbread house. If you plan and cut patterns beforehand, you will end up with functional architecture. The pieces are glued together with melted sugar. It’s a process that calls for swift hands! A tip you will like: decorate the pieces before assembling the house!
19Xmas20Xmas
This is my dream house. Well, except I'd like to have more windows! It would be a small clay rendered straw bale hut that has a loft interior with an open kitchen. Having a hearth, there would always be a faint fragrance of wood and camphor. The ornaments would be made of cow dung! How would your dream house look like?
15Xmas
17Xmas14Xmas
Stay warm, do good and be satisfied! See you soon, again.
5Xmas18Xmas
With love, Lakshmi

58 comments :

  1. Gorgeous treats and picture! I love that time of the year (winter & winter solstice), but despise the commercial aspect of Xmas...

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. joulutorttu are so beautiful! I'll try to make them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowoooo looks so so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your posts, Lakshmi - every one is a work of art! The joulutorttu are completely new to me, but I look forward to trying them out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything is just mindblooooooooooooooooooooowing..... Beautiful !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful gingerbread houses. stunning photography.

    ReplyDelete
  7. so sweet and warming. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A beauty, a fairy-tale.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wszystko niezwykle piękne ,a domek zachwycający

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a beautiful gingerbread house. flawless. cookies look extremely delicious too. i have always enjoyed reading your blogs and has helped me look food, photography in a different angle. i hope you will have a great holiday and come back soon with delicious recipes and stunning photography!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the Gingerbread house and the detail..wow! I love your blog..and have a wonderful Christmas season. PS...I will picking up some oranges after work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your gingerbread house is amazing! I love every picture of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG Lakshmi, this is pure magic! I'm floored by your creativity, and best of all the stunning photographs. The gingerbread house looks amazing, and I love the grey tone to all pictures here -- so seasonal. Wish you a most wonderful holiday season! Nashi x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Honestly, I can't get over how you can take such simple things, like oranges or yarn, and make them absolutely gorgeous. I love both pepparkakor and gloegg and can't wait to make some this year! Joulutorttu are new to me but they look and sound great. I hope you enjoy the winter and that there'll be enough sun to keep you sane (which is my problem, but I just got a light therapy lamp which seems to be working!) I look forward to your return. :) You're really a big inspiration to me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I want Christmas at your house! This post is so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Simply superb.Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lakshmi, thanks for your beautiful blog and a year of wonderful posts! You have a unique voice and vision and we're enriched by your talent, generosity, and enthusiasm.

    Stay warm and see you in February! Happy new year. :-)

    Danielle, Montreal

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful post, I love gingerbread cookies thanks for sharing your recipe!
    you are so talented, hope to find you back on this blog soon!

    Roberta

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your pictures and posts are, as always, enchanting. Enjoy your time off blogging and can't wait to see what you come up with in the new year!

    Roberta

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a beautiful house!
    I'll try you gingerbread cookies, I like them very much, but I've never tried to make them myself.

    Happy Holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lakshmi, I have to tell you that your dream house is exactly how my grandmother's house is: "small clay rendered straw bale hut that has a loft interior with an open kitchen" And it has a wood fire oven for breads and cooking... Wow, you brought such a good memories... And this is a house I want to live in some day... Have a beautiful holiday season! I'll miss you though.

    ReplyDelete
  22. i love how you have captured the grey n whites of winter with your stunning creations! very magical, like out of fairy tale book :)

    i will miss your posts, Lakshmi! but i know you will come back recharged with some more stunning photographs n recipes that is just going to take my breath away, as....always :)

    stay warm n happy! happy holidays...
    much love
    Sia

    ReplyDelete
  23. I will miss your great recipes and beautiful pictures :) And I would like to thank you for a pumpkin soup recipe, that I adore. Before I didn't like a pumpkin soup.
    I also like combination of cinammon, ginger and cloves. And gingerbread.
    Stay warm and to the next post ;)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Fabulous photographs again!
    Loved all of them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Each one of your posts leave me refreshed and inspired. Can't wait to see what you have in store next year.
    Happy holidays for you and your family.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  26. thanks for sharing ,beautiful images and christmas is such a wonderful time i just cant get enought of beautiful images ,have a wonderful holiday
    Valeria

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a wonderful gingerbread house and love the cookies too. Have a great break and keep warm. We have summer down here and I am enjoying the long evenings and being able to use the natural light for photos but it will be gone all too soon and you will have it again.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love your dream house and your stunning pictures and styling. Have a wonderful winter holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your photos are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Laksmi, this gingerbread house is so gorgeous, so beautiful, it is a dream-house. Congratulations!
    I will try myself on making one this Xmas too, yours will definitely be an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  31. this is absolutely gorgeous! I always loved gingerbread houses, but never dared to make one myself. time to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  32. This looks absolutely amazing! After seeing this pic I got inspired big time, thanks a million!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Much love to you and hope you come back with more inspirational moments, Lakshmi! It is the minimalism that makes everything you make stand out so beautifully. Happy New Year!

    Try and send some cold my way. We are still having terrible heat waves this year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. An absolutely GORGEOUS post! :) It is cooling me down (virtually) on a warm Australian summer day. I miss snowy Christmases. Thank you for the post. I love your blog. ~L

    ReplyDelete
  35. Beautiful pictures!!! love your post

    ReplyDelete
  36. That house is gorgeous and so very you -- happy holidays dear!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I started following your blog a couple of weeks ago and read all the previous posts. It's amazing! Wish you a Merry Christmas and look forward to reading your posts soon! Have a nice winter time!

    ReplyDelete
  38. What wonderful images to leave us with while we await your return. Wish you and your family a very Happy 2013.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Fantastic !
    So beautiful photos !
    I love your blog !
    verO

    ReplyDelete
  40. Enjoy your break! And Happy Holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  41. What do I say? Your gingerbread house looks perfect! Lakshmi..
    And your vision of a dream house is beautiful.
    Happy Holidays! Stay warm..

    ReplyDelete
  42. Your blog is beautiful, Lakshmi. I will miss it the next couple of months. I just made gingerbread cookies and decorated them like yours. Beautiful! I liked the idea of using white chocolate; I always try to avoid icing sugar.(I made my own cookie recipe which has buckwheat flour, sucanat and barley malt for sweetening, orange zest and fresh ginger.)

    Hare bol!

    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  43. I'm astounded by the quality of your photography. Just beautiful! Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Beautiful recipe, Lakshmi. Looking forward to more delicious treat once you are back from blogging break. Happy Holidays!!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Such beautiful little creations! Thx for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Wonderful pictures! I love reading your posts and following your stories and recipes.
    Merry Christmas from Italy!

    ReplyDelete
  47. What a beautiful blog, such amazing photography and beautiful recipes. I am not vegetarian but this blog makes me wish I was. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Very nice Gingerbread house, my son would like to do it. Wery nice blog!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Can't take my eyes off the pictures of oranges on that rustic board! Could spend years in your lovely ginger bread house. A very happy 2013 and much love to you and yours Lakshmi.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Such an impressive gingerbread house. I was watching these being made on tv recently and I would so much like to have a go at making one.

    ReplyDelete
  51. All the images on your blog are drop down gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  52. Laxmi ur pics are absolutely divine , i jus love the simplicity & vibrancy each of ur pics portray !!!

    ReplyDelete
  53. This folding plan is wonderful! I love to read through your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  54. I love the way you arranged the objects to take the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  55. FoodGeekGrazeMay 30, 2015

    i am really, really, really looking forward to trying those spelt gingerbread cookies + i have never before made my own joulutorttu = i am not waiting for christmas :-)

    ReplyDelete