October 15, 2013

Forest Lunch

October 15, 2013
63
K-PAX was a film screened in 2001, starring Kevin Spacey, about a psychiatric patient, Robert Porter, who claimed to be from a planet K-PAX. While being treated for delusions in the Psychiatric Institute of Manhattan, he quickly became the leader of other patients who, without exception, found his extra-terrestrial background believable and inspirational. In fact, even the doctor who analysed him, Dr. Mark Powell, was at times baffled by his proficiency in astronomy, physics and advanced psychology. In spite of the doctor – patient relationship, he took seriously Robert’s advice to evolve and reconciled with his estranged son. After all, according to a “k-paxian” report, our universe is known for repeating its mistakes again and again, forever.
78
Whether the film was a sincere portrayal of the grey area between a mental illness and unknown, supernatural aspiration, is irrelevant here. I’m mentioning it because my today’s recipe is called “K-PAX soup”! My beloved bhakti-yoga mentor – my Gurudev – gave it to me years before I knew about the film. It was his favourite lunch item for awhile. He passed away in 2006 and I never had a chance to ask why he named the soup as such. He was an eccentric personality with an exceptional intelligence and a quirky sense of humour. I suspect the name was related to the origin of the recipe: a person he might’ve jokingly likened to a “k-paxian”.
59
In the secular society it’s acceptable to designate oneself according to the family line and relationships, race, gender, income status, education, occupation, moral, religious or political standing, and talent etc. We usually bypass quickly the question “who are you?” by offering our name and field of work. Everyone has a shortcut to pin oneself in a position one wants to be associated with and, if the situation allows, we are thrilled to narrate the longer version of our achievements and personality traits.

From the point of view of spiritual reality all such distinctions are, however, alien identities even though they may be within commonly admissible behavioral boundaries. Vedanta-sutra, the essence of knowledge compiled by Srila Vyasadev thousands of years ago, starts by an aphorism athato brahma jijnansa: the human form of life is meant for inquiring about the spiritual nature; the substance of all forms and definitions. To someone freed from physical, mental and intellectual coverings, we likely look as “k-paxian” with our illusory selfhood as the poor Robert Porter in the film.
12
Whatever the case, this soup is very good! There are only a few, selected spices that compliment each others. It depends on the complexity of the curry powder how much taste it attributes. I’m using a home-made mixture of roasted coriander, mustard, fenugreek, jeera, urad dal, black peppercorn, red chili, curry leaves and turmeric, but you can substitute it with a simple a combination of (roasted) jeera, fennel, coriander, red chili and turmeric. Or, use a store bought curry powder.

The soup is best served with bread or a piece of pie. We had an eggplant tart on our forest lunch.


20 comments :

  1. What an idea to name a soup on a movie :) the soup does not seem quirky at all though! it is beautiful and I can imagine the flavor of the blend of spices you have used, esp the fenugreek. I marvel at the uniqueness of your recipes Lakshmi!! The tart however is calling my name. Love love the eggplant! Someday I want to have a forest lunch with you,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soma, I had a dream last night we were (not in the forest) but in Mayapur together, working on a new book. How about that?! An omen?

      Delete
  2. Beautiful autumn shots. That is such a gorgeous spot to picnic. Your seasonal soup and tart look delicious.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  3. UNA RECETA Y UN REPORTAJE PRECIOSO!!!
    Gracias por compartir :)))
    Conxita

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pictures. Eggplant tart looks delicious. Love eggplants, I am surely going to make this tart:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A delicious picnic at a gorgeous spot. Love the flavors of the soup. The tart is looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazing write up!!! I have not seen the movie but I will make sure to watch it soon. I also find very interesting that often when we ask others about who they are they will tell us what they do and what they have done so far... In spirituality we are all gorgeous energy, very much the same just have many different experiences while here:) Beautiful pictures as well! not to mention delicious looks soup and tart. Thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Savory tart with interesting mix of spices! I am quite intrigued by that. Hing, rosemary and arugula are three things I wouldn't have thought to mix. I will be trying it out for sure. Pistachios would be a good addition too..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful on so many levels! I just finished up a batch of kitchari I made, am hungry for similar spices, have some roasted squash, so will try your soup!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How true your words are! Too often our identity becomes our jobs or where we live. Your pics are stunning and I will be giving this soup a try for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful. Só pretty photos. Love it
    Cláudia

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such beautiful photography! I love fall picnics and this sets the scene perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I grew up in the mountains and now too I live in the forest, love this!!!

    Ciao
    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is scary to know that we humans are bound to repeat our mistakes. I never wanted to repeat the same mistakes again for they bring too much heartaches thus discomfort. Though. I learned them in my 3rd fall, I am thankful that I finally learned from it. It is sad that society associate success through our achievements rather than the peaceful state of our spirituality. I am glad you have new updates and I am excited for the 200 more posts you are going to publish. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amazing blog! I hope you post many vegan (plant-based) recipes, which is good for our spiritual growth and our beautiful planet.

    global vegan fare

    ReplyDelete
  15. The soup sounds awesome and I love the story and your thoughts behind it. The question of who you are is always so baffling. I have been, lately and for a long time on a path of finding out the answer to the question. Perhaps one day...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eskelinen – hei! Knowledge about any subject is so vast that we will never reach a plane where we can say we know it all. In fact, it’s the nature of knowledge to expand! As soon as we apply it, it will become a part of our field – of who we are and how we perceive – and open a door to a new direction that is compatible with our identity, consciousness and activities. It’s very exciting! Vedanta sutra starts by saying that human life begins at inquiring about the truth: athato brahma jijnasa...

      Delete
  16. Beautiful story, and soup; I just watched K-PAX tonight, thanks to your post, and it was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a beautiful forest! I could totally have lunches there. Daily :D

    ReplyDelete